All Reserve visitors are responsible for reading and understanding the following:
- The Reserve opens each day at 8:00 a.m. The Reserve is closed on days affected by rain or inclement weather, and on December 25.
- Please check the main entrance signs for current closing time. Closing time is approximately 30-45 minutes before sunset. Parking lot gates are locked at closing time. Use of the Reserve outside of posted hours is considered trespassing P.C. 602.
- The only permitted sites to enter and exit the Reserve are via the Harmony Grove staging area or the Del Dios Highlands County Preserve.
- No collecting allowed. All natural resources and wildlife are protected.
- Firearms and hunting are prohibited. All fires, smoking and fireworks are prohibited. Alcohol is prohibited.
- Motorized vehicles and equipment are prohibited beyond parking area.
- Hiking, biking and equestrian use is limited to existing designated trails. All off-trail travel is prohibited (this includes dogs).
- Please travel at a safe speed at all times. In addition, bicyclists must dismount their bicycles in the immediate vicinity of horses.
- California leash law is enforced. Please pick up after your dog.
- Monday – Friday: Dogs under effective voice command are permitted off leash but only at the top of the “Way Up” Trail (point marked with sign).
- Saturday, Sunday and Holidays: Dogs are required to remain on leash at all times throughout the Reserve.
- “Way Up” Trail and Lower Trails: Dogs must remain on leash at all times.
- Additionally, dogs must be held on leash in parking, picnic, and overlook areas or any time they become a nuisance to people, property, and wild or domestic animals.
- A Special Use Permit, available free of charge from a park ranger or by telephone, is required for group use of the Reserve. A group is defined as:
- 8 or more people
- 8 or more horses
- 4 or more vehicles
Many natural hazards exist in backcountry areas; please see information at the trailhead. To schedule group use and obtain a Special Use Permit, or for copies of the full text of these and other regulations relating to Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve, call the Olivenhain Municipal Water District Parks Department at 760-632-4212.
Last Updated on Friday, 06 April 2012 14:35